Friday, July 10, 2020

Fix Windows 10 Store error 0x80073CF9

With the release of Windows Subsystem for Linux 2, I wanted to try the new Windows Terminal, so I went to install it via Windows Store. But I kept getting this error Code 0x80073CF9 and none of the Microsoft solutions/Troubleshooters helped. It would download exactly 65 kB and then fail a few seconds later, every time, after many attempts and restarts. 

I hadn't used the Store much but other things had installed fine, like Ubuntu. This is not the only way to install this app, as it's open source, you could build and install it yourself, but why bother? Plus I might want to use Store for something else and didn't want a broken system. 

Long story short, it appears that the Terminal installer requires encryption to be supported (although it's free and open source!?), and somehow mine was not enabled. Even after doing a registry hack, when I restarted it was disabled again. I had to run these two commands, which were hard to track down, to get it to finally stick, and then I could install. 

Instructions: 

  • Open Windows Powershell as Administrator (right-click menu) 
  • Run: Set-ItemProperty HKLM:SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem NtfsDisableEncryption -Value 0
  • Run: fsutil behavior set disableencryption 0
  • Restart
  • Check that it's set properly (0) with: Get-ItemProperty HKLM:SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem NtfsDisableEncryption

Now you should be able to install Windows Terminal and other apps throwing the same error. 

Links I used, which may help if this isn't your solution: 



No comments: